Why We should Take Breaks During Work
Hi friend, welcome to my blog. It’s not a coincidence you stumbled on this post because this post was just made for you. You were probably gonna skim, comment Rate and run back to your work?
Wait for a little and find out why you need to take a break at work.
Your work is very important no doubt, people assume the best employees work non-stop at work no matter their performance output, Taking breaks during work hours may be seen as a waste of time.
Do you know that taking breaks would make more productive, happier and more focused afterward? Read along and you would soon find out why and how.
Employees need motivation and ability to perform their work to their full potential, sometimes their Work tasks may be very demanding. ( you gotta work hard to make ends meet they would say), but you also need to be fair to your body, your body is not an automated machine designed to function without a stop, our basic physics taught us that the efficiency in a machine wanes over a period of time when the machine is in use.
The human brain uses a lot of glucose to carry out cognitive functions, which helps you to keep focused on your given task, this glucose stores (fuel) can get depleted and you might need to take a break and go for a refill.
An effective break is a psychological detachment, which refers to mentally disengaging from work thoughts.
BENEFITS OF TAKING A BREAK AT WORK
IMPROVES PERFORMANCE-It would help to improve your performance rate at work by 50%, it can be seen as a short booster to rekindle your attention. Watching a short funny video would help ease off the stress at work. An effective break is a psychological detachment from your work.
HELPS TO EVALUATE YOUR TASK-taking a break helps to re-evaluate our task at that particular time and reflect and figure out our mistakes and make corrections appropriately.
It suppresses boredom-Breaks are the best way to kill boredom, we sometimes get so engrossed in work and get bored doing the same thing. A short break is a savior you need at that particular time.
EXAMPLES OF BREAKS TO TAKE
- Take a walk- A 20-minute stroll can increase blood flow to the brain, which can boost creative thought. A stroll while appreciating nature is a good way to also boost your immune system.
- Take a Lunch Break- working all day depletes the body of its glucose stores which would reduce performance at work. A light snack is all that is needed to re-establish glucose to the brain for optimal output.
- Listen to music: A 10 mins Focus on soft music can significantly improve our motor and reasoning skills at work, and it has a variety of health benefits as well.
- Nap- There is no crime in taking a nap at work, a 10 mins mid-day nap has been shown to improve cognition and decreases stress and fatigue.
- Talk to friends/co-workers- call a friend or hang out with a co-worker is also a productive break at work, it also helps to reduce boredom and stress. Helping out a colleague will help you feel a sense of social connectedness, which should feel comforting and positive.
Meditate- Meditation is a good way to relax your nerves and brain, a short meditation of 10 mins can increase your productivity by 20-40 %.
Exercise your eyes – exercising your eyes have been found to be healthy. Use the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, take a break for at least 20 seconds and look at objects that are 20 feet away from you.
Do you take breaks regularly at work? If so, what’s your break schedule like and how do you use your break time? I’d love to hear from you in the comments!
curled from my my steemit blog